Topic: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Replies: 41   Last Post: Feb 28, 2013 4:46 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards

Domenico Rosa posted Jan 31, 2013 5:35 AM (GSC's remarks follow):
> On 28 Jan 1013, CCSSI Math wrote:
>

> > Malkin is a Fox News contributor, i.e., her
> > opinions
> > are founded on a right wing, anti-government
> > ideology. Her rantings against Common Core have
> > nothing to do with Common Core's actual substantive
> > merits or lack thereof.

> The following is the beginning of the article posted
> at:

> One of the the objectives of Malkin and other
> pseudo-conservatives is to break up our public school
> system so that the "private sector" gets a piece of
> the action.
> ==============
>
> Educating From the Bench
> Judges order legislators to spend more on schools,
> and taxpayers see less in return.
>
> BY JAY P. GREENE
> Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:01 a.m.
>
> FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.--Spending on public schools
> nationwide has skyrocketed to $536 billion as of the
> 2004 school year, or more than $10,000 per pupil.

I'm from India, and I have no connection whatsoever with the group that the author of the post quoted by Domenico Rosa described as the 'Education Mafia'. He is, by the way, now apparently no longer with us. While he was here, however, his consistent - though to my mind somewhat rabid - slogan had been: "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"

I have quite consistently disputed his views (which I would describe as being somewhat to the right of even Michelle Malkin's). I still do strongly dispute his philosophy and what grows out of that.

Let us assume, nevertheless, that there is some semblance of validity to figures provided in the article quoted (even if they aren't perfectly accurate) i.e., that what the US is actually spending is of the following order:

- -- Spending on public schools US-wide, as of 2004, was US $ 536 BBBBBBBillion!
- -- This amounted to more than US $ 10,000 per child.

To me, the above does seem somewhat excessive...
[Government spending in India per school child during 2011-12 amounted to something like the following:

"per child allocation at an all India level under SSA stood at Rs 4,269 for financial year 2011-12" -

this is, at current dollar rates, something in the order of US $ 80.26 per annum per child. The above figures are from "Accountability Initiative" - http://www.accountabilityindia.in/accountabilityblog/2503-what-child-expenditure-government-schools ].

...and US tax-payers (along with US parents) certainly do have a right to demand at least an 'adequate' boom for their educational bucks. Several of them do seem to be sincerely feeling that they're not getting anything like a 'satisfactory boom'.

I decided to do a little research (via Google, as that is all I have the time and resources for). I discovered something called:

"U.S. Education Spending and Performance vs. The World" - http://rossieronline.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-world-infographic/ . I strongly recommend that readers take a look at this startling infographic for themselves, which does seem to indicate that the US is, in fact, getting something less than a 'satisfactory bang for its educational buck'. (I do not know the provenance of this blog, i.e., 'where its owner is coming from', right-field or left. But his figures [and his graphics] are worth studying - whether or not they are 'perfectly accurate' and 'perfectly on-target').

Regardless of the accuracy of these figures, the real issue for education is:

HOW TO ENSURE THAT THE USA (and likewise for every nation in the world) GETS AN EFFECTIVE BANG FROM ITS 'EDUCATION BUCK'???

It is actually not difficult at all to accomplish this.

It will require only a little learning (along with a fair bit of 'unlearning') to learn to use systems science to ensure that educational systems would become very significantly more effective indeed - and all of this can be done, NATIONWIDE (in any nation in the world), within just a couple of years at most.

Attached to my post at another thread here, "Democracy - how to achieve it?" - http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 there are some documents (a PowerPoint presentation along with a couple of Word documents) describing a simple and practical means that would for sure enable the US [or any nation] - or indeed any individual school - to get the best possible 'bang for the educational buck being spent'. I'd suggest that the CCSSI might like to try out these tools in order to counter, more effectively, the unfair criticisms that Michelle Malkin and her ilk will for sure keep throwing at them.

I am engaged in an attempt here in India to force our education authorities to function more effectively - the demand is that they, too, should work to give India a MUCH better bang for its educational buck.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
1/24/13
Read Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Domenico Rosa
1/25/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/25/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Domenico Rosa
1/25/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/26/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
1/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Louis Talman
1/26/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Domenico Rosa
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
CCSSIMath
2/8/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Wayne Bishop
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
1/28/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
CCSSIMath
2/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Louis Talman
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
1/31/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
1/29/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/8/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Wayne Bishop
1/30/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
Domenico Rosa
1/31/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/1/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/2/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
2/1/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/1/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/1/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/2/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
2/3/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/8/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/11/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
2/12/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
GS Chandy
2/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
CCSSIMath
2/27/13
Read Re: Rotten to the Core: War on Academic Standards
kirby urner
2/28/13