Topic: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Replies: 76   Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 6:57 PM

Virgil

Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician

In article
<65959390-0681-4d8a-8e3c-7b1e8dad94b1@w7g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 31 Jan., 01:58, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <397a90fb-2e3e-411f-ae40-2365cadd1...@b11g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> >  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > I have developed a new proof-technique, namely proof by ignorance
> >
> > That is hardly new for Wolkenmuekenheim, but has been the ONLY standard
> > there for years.

> Thinks are easy if things are easy.
> Consider a box with a dozen different pralines. If I take three out of
> the boxh and return it to you, you can decide which I did not take out
> by looking at the remaining ones.
>
> Consider a Binary Tree. When I remove or colour some paths, you can
> decide which are remaining by looking at the uncoloured paths.

> And finally consider a Binary Tree with uncountably many paths. When I
> colour a countable set of paths, then you have to decide by looking at
> the remainings which paths have survived.

While WM may include every node in his countable set of paths, he does
not, and cannot, simultanteously include every path.

For example, you can obviously include every node in the set of "binary
rational" paths (those that have only finitely many left branchings or
only finitely many right branchings) but this omits the vast majority
of paths which branch infinitely many times in each direction.

This corresponds in set theory with counting subsets of the actually
infinite set |N.

If one counts all the finite subsets of |N , and all the co-finite
subsets of |N, one still has not touched that vast majority of subsets
of |N which are neither finite nor co-finite in |N.

And note that once WM claims to consider a COMPLETE INFINITE BINARY
TREE, as he does above, he is conceding the existence of infinite sets
so cannot later argue that they do not exist.
--

Date Subject Author
1/29/13
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David C. Ullrich
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Frederick Williams
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a not so serious non-mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
[...]
Jesse F. Hughes
1/30/13
[...]
quasi
1/30/13
[...]
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious self-confessed non-mathematician?
Virgil
1/31/13
[...]
Read Re: Poor Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
quasi
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
J. Antonio Perez M.
1/30/13
[...]
fom
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Brian Q. Hutchings