Topic: Beating the Odds?
Replies: 35   Last Post: Feb 6, 2013 3:44 PM

JohnF

Re: Beating the Odds?

Butch Malahide <fred.galvin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2:29?am, William Elliot <ma...@panix.com> wrote:
>> There is a fair coin with a different integer on each side that you can't
>> see and you have no clue how these integers were selected. The coin is
>> flipped and you get to see what comes up. You must guess if that was the
>> larger of the two numbers or not. Can you do so with probability > 1/2?

> I think it depends on how you interpret the question.

Yeah, that's how it looked to me, too. It says, "...you have no clue
how these integers were selected." But, as you point out below, that
doesn't say anything about how they >>actually<< were selected.
Suppose they were selected randomly (without replacement) from a jar
containing 1000 paper slips with 1-1000 written on them. Then your
S_500 is certainly the best strategy. You won't >>know<< it's the best
strategy (physics might call that ~ epistemic uncertainty), but the
question doesn't ask whether you know the strategy, just whether or not
one exists ( ~ ontological uncertainty). But that's more of a tricky-dicky
word question. Either the op meant to be tricky, or he needs to phrase
it more precisely.

--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )