Topic: Input/Output data on/from internet in matlab
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jan 31, 2013 11:41 AM

thomas.ibbotson@mathworks.co.uk

Re: Input/Output data on/from internet in matlab

Steven_Lord <slord@mathworks.com> wrote:

> "Kainat Ali" <kainat.ali21@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> So I tried this:
>>
>> str=urlread('https://www.google.com')
>>
>> It works fine for this. But when I try this:
>>
>> str=urlread('https://www.google.com/search?q=[rice]')
>>
>> It gives me
>> ??? Error using ==> urlread at 108
>> Error downloading URL.

> Does that URL work when you paste it into your browser?
>
> Does a different URL (say http://www.mathworks.com) work?
>
> Have you asked Google for permission to do this type of querying? If you're
> querying for many terms over a short period of time, Google may consider you
> to be in violation of the terms and services and it may have taken action in
> that case:
>
> https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/
>
> "Don't misuse our Services. For example, don't interfere with our Services
> or try to access them using a method other than the interface and the
> instructions that we provide. You may use our Services only as permitted by
> law, including applicable export and re-export control laws and regulations.
> We may suspend or stop providing our Services to you if you do not comply
> with our terms or policies or if we are investigating suspected misconduct.
> "

Note that Google does provide a 'Custom Search API' which is free up to
100 queries a day:
https://developers.google.com/custom-search/v1/overview

Tom