Topic: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 5:59 PM

Stan

Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers

"Stan" wrote in message <kef9u8$seu$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to extract 2 columns from a file with 425 header lines and then the following:
>
> Q (upper-edge --0.1250E-03 AmP )= 0.98880E-02+- 0.28300E-03 units/alpha/round
> Q (upper-edge --0.2500E-03 AmP )= 0.19648E-01+- 0.39412E-03 units/alpha/round
> Q (upper-edge --0.3750E-03 AmP )= 0.18384E-01+- 0.38318E-03 units/alpha/round
> Q (upper-edge --0.5000E-03 AmP )= 0.17536E-01+- 0.37040E-03 units/alpha/round
> Q (upper-edge --0.6250E-03 AmP )= 0.16064E-01+- 0.36000E-03 units/alpha/round
> Q (upper-edge --0.7500E-03 AmP )= 0.15888E-01+- 0.35954E-03 units/alpha/round
>
> Here is my attempt, using textscan, and the output I am getting:
>

> >> clear
> >> clc
> >> fid1=fopen('rqm7yxk1.out','rt');
> >> fmt1=[' %s' '%s' '%s%s%f' '%s' '%s' ' %f%s%s' ' %f' '%s'];
> >> set_m=textscan(fid1, fmt1,'delimiter',' ','headerlines',425,'CollectOutput',true); %skip 425 header lines and then read in the data
> >> fclose(fid1);
> >> set_m

> set_m =
>
> Columns 1 through 4
>
> {1x4 cell} [0x1 double] {0x1 cell} [0x1 double]
>
> Columns 5 through 7
>
> {0x2 cell} [0x1 double] {0x1 cell}
>

> >> set_m{1}
>
> ans =
>
> '' 'E' '(upper-edge' '--0.1250E-03'
>
> Question:
> I need the 3 columns that contain the numbers. Only the first 4 columns seem to be working. Is there something that I am missing, in the formatting, for the remaining columns?

There is a typo. It should be:
>> set_m{1}

ans =

'' 'Q' '(upper-edge' '--0.1250E-03'

Date Subject Author
1/31/13
Read Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
1/31/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/5/13
[...]
2/7/13