Topic: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Replies: 76   Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 6:57 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician

On 1 Feb., 06:01, forbisga...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:55:12 AM UTC-8, WM wrote:
> > On 31 Jan., 15:27, forbisga...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > The rational 1/3
>
> > > doesn't have a finite decimal expansion.  None the less it is distinguishable
>
> > > from every rational other than 1/3 at some place in the expansion
>
> > > and only the infinite expansion can be calculated to be 1/3.
>
> > If you are so sure about that than you should be able to find out
>
> > whether 1/3 is among the paths that I have used to construct the
>
> > complete infinite Binary Tree. Does it in fact differ from the union
>
> > of all its finite initial segments
>
> > 0.01
>
> > 0.0101
>
> > 0.010101

> Yes it does, under the assumption that the continuation
> of all of your initial segments is not the repeating sequence
> [01].  If it is then I will

If you could determine it by nodes or digits, you need not make
provisions. So you cannot determine by nodes whether 1/3 it there or
not. QED.

There remains only a finite definition. But there are only conutably
many.

If it is then I will give you the repeating sequence
0.[001] and it will not be among your finite initial segments
unless you change your continuation at which point 0.[01] will
not be in your set.

And if I append to every finite path every infinite tail that has a
finite definition like 0.[001]? What will you choose then???
Nevertheles I will have used only countably many paths yet.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
1/29/13
Read Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/29/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a non-mathematician
W. Dale Hall
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David C. Ullrich
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a pseudo-serious non-mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Frederick Williams
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
David Petry
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
2/1/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a not so serious non-mathematician
Virgil
2/1/13
[...]
Jesse F. Hughes
1/30/13
[...]
quasi
1/30/13
[...]
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious self-confessed non-mathematician?
Virgil
1/31/13
[...]
Read Re: Poor Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious non-mathematician
Virgil
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
quasi
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/30/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
J. Antonio Perez M.
1/30/13
[...]
fom
1/31/13
Read Re: Endorsement of Wolfgang Mueckenheim from a serious mathematician
Brian Q. Hutchings