Topic: My amateurview of math.
Replies: 27   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 2:56 AM

JT

Re: My amateurview of math.

On 1 Feb, 07:29, "fasnsto" <inva...@invalid.com> wrote:
> "JT" <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > To me it seem that the naturals are discrete in nature
>
> naturals <=> nature
> and they are wisely discrete when talking about other types of numbers
>

> > and that zero
> > really not a natural number or even a number.

> zero is a natural number in the set of nonnegitive integers
> zero is even

No it is not, zero is not even a number i can write in anybase without
using zero.

> >Regarding infinity we
> > can not have a view of something where we do not have a full set
> > handwaving shouting infinity really do not help.

> trivial, simply think what 1 / 0 means.

Hardly meaning full it does not mean anything, not even in a base
using zeros, and in any without it would just be waste of time having
unnecessary unfinished decimal expansions.

> > For me each natural must be a continuum fractions is just a way to
> > partition a discrete natural number.

> tell me more......

Fractions in the sense expressed in bases like decimal or what ever
other is partitioned to make sense, of course 1/x can describe all
finite fractions and is baseless.

> > When we partition a single discrete entity of the naturals one realise
> > that infinity is just the limit expressed.

> that infinity or this infinity,  or 100 times infinity ?

No infinity is just void like zero it is not a mathematical entity, a
limit is a finite number.

> > The numberline is just a figment of imagination, where we imagine
> > discrete entities lined up.

> isn't all math non-physical ?

No single discrete natural math entities do indeed have comparable
magnitudes. The numberline though is dreamed up, and along with it
came the zero. In a set of 5 single discrete naturals there is no
first unless you order them and when you do you will notice there is
no zero in the set. A set can have one member, if it have no member it
isn't a set outside Merry Poppins math.

> > We can take a cut anywhere to represent 7 so the set is a much better
> > analogy to magnitudes then the numberline.

> but 3 + 4 = 7     so  how do you handle that?

There is nothing to handle that is two sets one with three members and
one with four members and if you add the them you get a set with 7
members.
This is all very simple say you have 3 buckets with 1,2,4 balls you
throw you pore the 2 over to bucket with four now you have two sets
one with 6 and one with 1 ball, now you may wonder what you should do
with the empty bucket you can put it on head and look funny. But there
is not mathematical use for it and the same goes for the empty set.