Topic: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Replies: 26   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:06 AM

Paul

Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space

On Friday, February 1, 2013 4:37:40 PM UTC, Daniel J. Greenhoe wrote:
> Let (Y,d) be a subspace of a metric space (X,d).
>

> If (Y,d) is complete, then Y is closed with respect to d. That is,
>

> complete==>closed.
>

> Alternatively, if (Y,d) is complete, then Y contains all its limit
>
> points.
>

> Would anyone happen to know of a counterexample for the converse? That
>
> is, does someone know of any example that demonstrates that
>
> closed --> complete
>
> is *not* true? I don't know for sure that it is not true, but I might
>
> guess that it is not true.
>

> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Dan

You need to understand that "closed" and "open" don't characterize topologies.
Rather "X is open in Y" describes a relationship between X and Y.
To say that a space is complete or compact or Hausdorff makes a statement about a topological space. To say that a space is "closed" (as in your statement "closed -> complete") doesn't really mean anything.
To make progress replace "closed -> complete" by something more formal and rigorous and precise.

Paul Epstein

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Achimota
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Paul
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Paul
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/3/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/3/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Achimota
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Butch Malahide
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
quasi
2/2/13
[...]
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
William Hughes
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Butch Malahide
2/1/13
Read closed but not complete