Topic: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Replies: 28   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:57 PM

JT

Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases

On 1 Feb, 15:06, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
wrote:
> JT wrote:
> > And 0.999... would be expressed as 0.3 or.......?
>
> What are you asking?  Does 0.9 recurring (in base 10)  have the same
> value as 0.3 (in base 3)?  No, 0.9 recurring (in base 10) has the same
> value as 1.0 (in base 3).
>
> --
> When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
> this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
> Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

No what i say is that my number bases do not require 0, actually it
is pointless.
Example using base 3 (but is of course appliable to any base)

1=1
2=2
3=3
4=11
5=12
6=13
7=21
8=22
9=23

Well you get the hang of it, and what follows is...
3,333...=3,1
6,333...=13,1
9,666...=23,2

And as you can see the decimal expansions finite.

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/2/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Frederick Williams
[...]
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Virgil
2/3/13