Topic: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Replies: 26   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:06 AM

Butch Malahide

Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space

On Feb 1, 10:37 am, "Daniel J. Greenhoe" <dgreen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Let (Y,d) be a subspace of a metric space (X,d).
>
> If (Y,d) is complete, then Y is closed with respect to d. That is,
>
>   complete==>closed.
>
> Alternatively, if (Y,d) is complete, then Y contains all its limit
> points.
>
> Would anyone happen to know of a counterexample for the converse? That
> is, does someone know of any example that demonstrates that
>    closed --> complete
> is *not* true? I don't know for sure that it is not true, but I might
> guess that it is not true.

Do you happen to know an example of a metric space which is not
complete? If so, let (X,d) be that metric space, and let Y = X.

If not, do you know an example of a metric space in which some subset
is not closed? In that case, let (W,d) be that metric space, let X be
a non-closed subset of W, and let Y = X. Then (X,d) is an incomplete
metric space, (Y,d) is a closed subspace of (X,d), and (Y,d) is not
complete.

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Achimota
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Paul
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Paul
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/3/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/3/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Achimota
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Butch Malahide
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
quasi
2/2/13
[...]
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
William Hughes
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Butch Malahide
2/1/13
Read closed but not complete