Topic: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
Replies: 15   Last Post: Feb 15, 2013 5:58 PM

William Elliot

Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a
line

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
> On Feb 1, 8:37 pm, William Elliot wrote:

> > > EF as CDF, the natural integers uniformly

Why did all of you indentations get changed into
a' a'
which makes it hard to review; thus clipped.

> > What does that last line all mean?

> The notion of selecting among discrete items at uniform random is
> among the most reasonable of assumptions of blind selection among
> items, that each is as likely as the other. In the finite case, this
> is well known as fair coin tosses or dice rolls, in Bernoulli and to
> Poisson. In the infinite, the notion of selecting among the natural
> integers at uniform random would have particular features of the
> probability mass function describing the distribution of the natural
> integers at uniform random. The function from natural integers to
> points in a line called EF has particular features that would make it
> at once a cumulative distribution function, over its support space of
> the natural integers, and in its constant monotonicity, over constant
> differences, that of a uniform distribution.

What do you mean _the_ function from N to R?
There are uncountably many. Do you have a particular
function in mind for EF?

What is the formula for the accumulative distribution function?
I take it that's what you mean by the cryptic CDF.

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a
line
William Elliot
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a
line
William Elliot
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
Graham Cooper
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
JT
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
JT
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
JT
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
Graham Cooper
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
JT
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
FredJeffries@gmail.com
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
Graham Cooper
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
2/2/13
Read Re: Outline: A Program to establish the continuity of points in a line
Graham Cooper
2/15/13