Topic: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Replies: 28   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:57 PM

JT

Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases

On 1 Feb, 15:06, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
wrote:
> JT wrote:
> > And 0.999... would be expressed as 0.3 or.......?
>
> What are you asking?  Does 0.9 recurring (in base 10)  have the same
> value as 0.3 (in base 3)?  No, 0.9 recurring (in base 10) has the same
> value as 1.0 (in base 3).
>
> --
> When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
> this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
> Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

Well actually in this numbersystem in base 3
0,3=1
This means that 0,3 actually completes 0.999... in standard digit
expansion, it is the sum of all possible fractions of a single natural
number.

So in my bases a single natural actually equals the sum of all
fractions thus 1=0,3 in base 3 the decimal expansion is complete.

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/2/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/1/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Frederick Williams
[...]
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
JT
2/3/13
Read Re: 1/3 partitioned expansion in different bases
Virgil
2/3/13