Topic: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Replies: 26   Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 11:06 AM

quasi

Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space

Daniel J. Greenhoe wrote:
>Butch Malahide wrote:
>>quasi wrote
>>>Butch Malahide wrote

>Understood.
>

>>>Moreover, if (X,d) is not complete, it has uncountably many
>>>subsets which are closed but not complete.

>> Oh, right. At least 2^{aleph_0} of them.

>Not understood. Can someone help me understand this one?

Suppose (X,d) is not complete. Then there must exist a
Cauchy sequence in X which does not converge. Let Y be the
set of distinct elements of that Cauchy sequence. Then any
infinite subset of Y is closed in X but not complete. Since
Y is countably infinite, the cardinality of the set of
infinite subsets of Y is 2^(aleph_0).

quasi

Date Subject Author
2/1/13
Read looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Achimota
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Paul
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Paul
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/3/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
fom
2/3/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a metric space
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Achimota
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Butch Malahide
2/2/13
[...]
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
William Hughes
2/2/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/1/13
Read Re: looking for example of closed set that is *not* complete in a
metric space
Butch Malahide
2/1/13
Read closed but not complete