Topic: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 5:59 PM

dpb

Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers

On 2/3/2013 9:23 AM, Bruno Luong wrote:
> dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kelu2o$7qj$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>> On 2/3/2013 3:59 AM, Bruno Luong wrote:
>>

>> > % NOTE: textscan is NOT buggy when understand how it works
>> >

>> Then why is it behaving differently between 12a and 12b as far as Stan
>> and I can tell????

> Since when behave differently is buggy? SUM() function gives different
> results when it goes to multi-thread, yet no one consider it as buggy as
> far as I can tell.

Well, it's possible it's a bug; w/ multi-thread more probable it's
simply order-dependent and then a figment of "processor-dependent"
behavior as language Standards put it...

Either way, what is/isn't a bug in another function isn't germane to
another particular function.

>> Which release/platform do you have installed?
>
> I have 2012a at work and 2012b at home. At work I tell my team not to
> upgrade to 2012b.

Can you parse the three columns in 12a in "one swell foop" or at least
confirm Stan's behavior w/ the specific format string?

> It's perfectly fine if you don't like the function because it does work
> like you expect dpb. But (we are not going over it again) I'm still
> waiting for an evidence of the so called bug (to me, i.e., a behavior
> different than what the doc describes).

I've never said I "don't like" textscan() -- on the contrary the
facility is good/needed. What I have said repeatedly I don't like is
that TMW has since relegated textread() to 2nd-citizen status which
removes another very useful facility that isn't available in
textscan()--namely returning base arrays instead of cells.

As far as this thing about documentation; I defy you to find a reading
of the documentation that is supplied that indicates that the format
string Stan used should behave as it does in R2012a. It appears that
particular bug underlying that behavior has been fixed in R2012b since
we get different results between the two. The previous bug we discussed
is, as noted, in the TMW official bug database awaiting repair in its
own time.

--

Date Subject Author
1/31/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/5/13
[...]
2/7/13