Topic: How students are really using technology
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 8, 2013 3:38 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: How students are really using technology

Responding further to Domenico Rosa's post dt Feb 1, 2013 10:00 PM (copied below my signature for ready reference):

I'd suggest that the approach of involving the students in developing and monitoring 'responsible computer usage' - see http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=8235464 - could be a worthwhile opportunity to teach them (the students) something about 'democratic values and behavior in society'.

Of course, the approach I'm suggesting does demand that the adults 'in charge of' the system must themselves know a fair bit about democratic values and behavior in society' and believe in such (AND that they'd be willing to extend their democratic beliefs and values to the way they deal with the students in their charge). This seems NOT to have been the case at the Natick school system.

The attachments pasted to my message at another thread ("Democracy - how to achieve it?" http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 ) describe some useful tools that could help, in various ways.

GSC
Domenico Rosa posted Feb 1, 2013 10:00 PM: