Topic: Economist Kern Alexander Explains the Problem with School Choice
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 2:03 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Economist Kern Alexander Explains the Problem with School Choice

Haim posted Feb 3, 2013 11:06 AM:

Further my earlier response (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?messageID=8246976?) to Haim's claim to the effect that

I investigated Dr Alexander's interests and qualifications a bit further (http://education.illinois.edu/epol/people/alexandr ) and discovered the following:

>>Kern Alexander?s current research interests include education finance and law. He has worked extensively as an expert in state school finance litigation. He is the Editor of the Journal of Education Finance and has recently completed a major revision of his widely-used graduate text, American Public School Law. Having served as president of two public universities, Alexander has an ongoing research interest in high education administrating, finance, and law.

>> Key Professional Appointments

>> Excellence Professor, Department of Educational and >>Organizational Leadership, University of Illinois at
>> Urbana-Champaign, 2002--
>> Interim President, Murray State University, Murray, >>KY, 2006-2006
>> President, Murray State University, Murray,
>> Kentucky, 1994-2001
>> University Distinguished Professor, Virginia Tech,
>>Blacksburg, Virginia, 1988-1994
>> President, Western Kentucky University, Bowling
>>Green, Kentucky, 1985-1988
>> Education Policy and Budget Coordinator, State of
>> Florida, Office of the Governor, Governor D. Robert
>>Graham, 1982-1985
>> Professor, Department of Educational
>> Administration, College of Education, University of
>>Florida, 1968-1985
>> Director, Institute for Educational Finance,
>>University of Florida, 1972-1982
>> Associate Director, then Director, , National
>> Educational Finance Project, 1968-1974
>> Chief, Financial Practices Section, Washington
>> D.C., Office of Construction, US Office of Education,
>>1966-1968

>>Kern Alexander
>> Excellence Professor
>> Education Policy, Organization and Leadership

I believe the above indicates that Professor Alexander probably has considerably more right to describe himself as an "economist" than has Haim to pronounce on his economics or lack thereof.

I keenly await Haim's (or anyone else's) counter to the above.

[As far as the undersigned's own qualifications to comment may be at issue, let me right at the outset state:

[I personally have little or no formal educational background in economics, though I have studied the subject specifically (and in some depth) in regard to the issue of how an organization's or a nation's daily activities may impact on the economic well-being of individuals in the said organization or nation.

The above claims can be practically demonstrated to anyone who has the stamina to enter into a real investigation on the matter].

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy