Topic: Calculating matrix permanent
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 4:29 PM

J.B. Wood

Re: Calculating matrix permanent

On 02/01/2013 05:09 PM, Butch Malahide wrote:

> The OED's earliest citation for the term "permanent" in this sense is
> from A. C. Aitken in 1939:
>
> 1939 A. C. Aitken Determinants & Matrices ii. 30 The corresponding
> sum with terms all positive is called the permanent of A; its
> properties are neither so simple nor so rich in application as those
> of determinants, but it has an importance in the theory of symmetric
> functions and in abstract algebra.
>
> So the permanent of a matrix is older than Wikipedia or the internet,
> and it *has* been around "since the time of Greek mathematicians":
> there were Greek mathematicians in 1939, as there are today.

Hello, and I stand corrected. I also should have said "ancient" Greek
mathematicians. I'll stand by my comments on Wikipedia. I'm an EE by
profession and none of my applied math textbooks mention "permanent".
Other matrix properties/type such as determinant, inverse, diagonal,
trace, skew, hermetian, eigenvalues) are dealt with in detail, however.
Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_123234@hotmail.com