Topic: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 5:59 PM

dpb

Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers

On 2/4/2013 3:57 PM, dpb wrote:

> textscan() is very complex; it's not surprising given how recently it
> has been introduced it still has warts. Also not terribly surprising is
> that textscan() handled the same format string correctly since it's had
> a lot longer time to get such nits taken care of...

The second textscan() above was intended to be textread(), of course...

>> But Stan shouldn't be proud to create such nasty string at first.
>
> I give Stan a complete pass on this. Clearly it's output from another
> program he's reading on which to do further post-processing--not
> something made up as an input string w/ the idea of reading it.

But, whatever the format, it shouldn't be hard to parse in a
general-purpose programming language is just a given imo.

The killer w/ C's i/o functions is their complete inability to
"understand" fix-width fields--it's simply absurd that one can't read
the equivalent of a Fortran FORMAT(5I1) w/ a record of '101 1' and
reliably get 1,0,1,0,1 returned in appropriate variables. In Matlab
(and C) that's nearly impossible w/o special handling.

--

Date Subject Author
1/31/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/5/13
[...]
2/7/13