Topic: making a Module or Column that will print lines interspersed with plots
Replies: 2   Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 10:23 PM

David Bailey

Re: making a Module or Column that will print lines interspersed

On 04/02/2013 01:20, djmpark wrote:
> Print the plots, just as everything else was printed.
>

> David Park
> djmpark@comcast.net
> http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/index.html
>

> From: Bruce Shore [mailto:bwshore@me.com]
>
> I run Mathematica 7. I have some legacy notebooks, from Mathematica 5, in
> which there were Modules such as
>
> macro :=Module[{j},
> Print["something"];
> plota;
> Print["something else"];
> plotb
> ];
>
> where plota and plotb were plots. Now with Mathematica 7 the semicolons
> prevent the plots from showing up. Show[plota]; has the same problem. The
> semicolons, which are needed in a Module, prevent the plotting. I have
> tried using a Column or a Graphics column,
>
> macro:=Column[{
> Print["something"],
> plota,
> Print["something else"],
> plotb
> }]
>
> and this does the printing and the plotting, but all the printing comes at
> the beginning and all the plots come after that. I really want the printing
> to come in between the plots, in the order that I show them. How can I do
> this?
>

> ---------------------------
> Bruce Shore
> bwshore@me.com
> (925) 455 0627
> --------------------------

To print a plot part way through a computation, do:

Print[plota];

Prior to version 6, the Plot functions effectively contained a Print,
so they appeared at once, but this was often quite inflexible and
inconsistent with the rest of Mathematica - hence the change.

To get a column, use:

Column[{
"something",
plota,