Topic: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 5:59 PM

dpb

Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers

On 2/5/2013 12:55 AM, Bruno Luong wrote:
> dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <keplqs$he2$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>

>> The killer w/ C's i/o functions is their complete inability to
>> "understand" fix-width fields--it's simply absurd that one can't read
>> the equivalent of a Fortran FORMAT(5I1) w/ a record of '101 1' and
>> reliably get 1,0,1,0,1 returned in appropriate variables. In Matlab
>> (and C) that's nearly impossible w/o special handling.
>>

> What's problem? The fixed format reading is just take the right column
> of the char matrix. OK you have to count the column, but that's really a
> big deal?

The problem is there's no way to write a format string that will parse
the above example input string correctly w/o actually doing the
character manipulation directly.

Yes, that's a big deal for large files in terms of overhead plus the
necessity of having to write special code to handle it when it should be
a trivial formatting operation.

It's a remnant of the design of C that didn't really consider i/o to be
terribly important it appears...

> Writing with fixed-format with MATLAB is another matter (there is simply
> no easy way of doing it).

I keep hearing this, but on output the fixed-width fields do work at
least reasonably well--there have been several threads on the subject I
can recall over the last several months or so but I can't remember a one
that wasn't solvable pretty easily w/ just the proper formatting strings.

Output works reasonably well; fixed-width non-delimited input is just
broken (by C Library definition which underlies the Matlab formatted i/o
implementation).

--

Date Subject Author
1/31/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/5/13
[...]
2/7/13