Topic: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 5:59 PM

Bruno Luong

Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <ker49o$r10$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 2/5/2013 12:55 AM, Bruno Luong wrote:
> > dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <keplqs$he2$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> >

> >> The killer w/ C's i/o functions is their complete inability to
> >> "understand" fix-width fields--it's simply absurd that one can't read
> >> the equivalent of a Fortran FORMAT(5I1) w/ a record of '101 1' and
> >> reliably get 1,0,1,0,1 returned in appropriate variables. In Matlab
> >> (and C) that's nearly impossible w/o special handling.
> >>

> > What's problem? The fixed format reading is just take the right column
> > of the char matrix. OK you have to count the column, but that's really a
> > big deal?

> The problem is there's no way to write a format string that will parse
> the above example input string correctly w/o actually doing the
> character manipulation directly.
>
> Yes, that's a big deal for large files in terms of overhead plus the
> necessity of having to write special code to handle it when it should be
> a trivial formatting operation.

I consider it is a relative easy task to write the wraparound code that does fixed format, may be a fortran like. May be one of the fortran users might be volunteer to do it and post in the FEX rather than waiting for TMW to do it for you guys (I bet it will never happen).

Bruno

Date Subject Author
1/31/13
Read Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
1/31/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
[...]
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/5/13
[...]
2/7/13