Topic: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 5:59 PM

dpb

Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers

On 2/5/2013 8:50 AM, Bruno Luong wrote:

> I consider it is a relative easy task to write the wraparound code that
> does fixed format, may be a fortran like. May be one of the fortran
> users might be volunteer to do it and post in the FEX rather than
> waiting for TMW to do it for you guys (I bet it will never happen).

Well, it is for the experienced (a relatively simple task, that is), but
the question is "why do you have to do so?" instead of there being the
facility in the base formatted i/o functions? Plus, the time taken for
doing that could be used for other more useful things.

I have had in the past some mex files that did precisely that--pass
FORMAT strings to Fortran to handle some i/o. Unfortunately, the source
seems to have been lost on the machine at a former place of employment
as I haven't been able to find it here. The question came up not very
long ago w/ a poster who had the identical question regarding an input
string similar to the example. It is conceptually quite simple; in
practice as I recall it took some effort to make it general-enough to be
of much generic use.

At this point in my life I'm not sure I'll ever have the ambition to
actually do that much "real" coding again--I've simply lost the
ambition/drive to write code at 2AM like a young'un and am too involved
in the farming operation and other activities at the local level to have
the time for more than just poking around at cssm for a little while in
the mornings to sorta' halfway keep my hand in...

But, that TMW doesn't do it doesn't mean it's not a good idea to include
in Matlab. :)

Since TMW has been kind enough to me recently to provide a license for
R2012b for evaluation/comments, perhaps I will try to build a coherent
set of enhancement requests, though...

It's just a shame that K&R didn't follow the clearly better path already
laid out instead of having to reinvent a (slightly out-of-round) wheel
and so we have to suffer for it...

--

Date Subject Author
1/31/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/1/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Stan
2/2/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/3/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
Bruno Luong
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/4/13
Read Re: Extract numbers from table containing text and numbers
dpb
2/5/13
[...]
2/7/13