Topic: Mathematica and Lisp
Replies: 83   Last Post: Mar 5, 2013 10:12 PM

Joseph Gwinn

Re: Mathematica and Lisp

In article <keqehj$erk$1@smc.vnet.net>,
Bill Rowe <readnews@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 2/3/13 at 8:22 PM, lvsaba@hotmail.com (Matthias Bode) wrote:
>

> >The fact that WRI does not even "recommend the use of the Product"
> >in instances where it could "threaten" ... "injury, or significant
> >loss" does indeed constitute a most serious limitation to "the
> >Product's" usefulness.

> Why do you reach the conclusion of "serious limitation"? All
> that is really happening here is Wolfram is essentially
> transferring legal responsibility for problems to the user. Not
> any different than is typical of software developers.
>
> I don't think you can find any software with comparable
> complexity/power to Mathematica that is bug free despite best
> effort/intention of the software developer/programmer. Given
> that, why would any software developer want to be held legally
> responsible for damage etc caused by a bug he failed to find.
>
> Expecting Wolfram to willingly accept legal responsibility for
> damages due to bugs in Mathematica is simply unrealistic. And it
> is equally unrealistic to expect a developer of any similar
> software to take willingly legal responsibility for damage
> caused by bugs.

Exactly. For a view of what it takes to make software almost bug-free,
look at the DO178 certification process, which is used for software that
controls airplanes - it the software fails, you lose the plane.

As one would expect, DO178 is *very* heavy, causing at least a factor of
ten cost increase. Or one hundred. If anything as complex as Mathematica
could be certified at all - the scaling is far from linear.

Joe Gwinn

Date Subject Author
1/11/13
Read Mathematica and Lisp
amzoti
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/24/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/25/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
W. Craig Carter
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/31/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Noqsi
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Daniel Lichtblau
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Andrzej Kozlowski
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/8/13
Read Palette problem with Feynman slash notation
Dave Snead
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Bill Rowe