Topic: Sets as Memory traces.
Replies: 10   Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 12:48 AM

Graham Cooper

Re: Sets as Memory traces.

On Feb 7, 4:17 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2:14 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Suppose that we have three bricks, A,B,C, now one can understand the
> > Whole of those bricks to be an object that have every part of it
> > overlapping with brick A or B or C, lets denote that whole by W. Of
> > course clearly W is not a brick, W is the totality of all the three
> > above mentioned bricks. However here I want to capture the idea of
> > 'membership' of that whole, more specifically what do we mean when we
> > say that brick A is a 'member' of W. We know that A is a part of W,
> > but being a part of W is not enough by itself to qualify A as being a
> > member of W, one can observe that brick A itself can have many proper
> > parts of it and those would be parts of W of course (since part-hood
> > is transitive) and yet non of those is a member of W. So for a part of
> > W to be a member of W there must be some property that it must
> > satisfy. I'll add another primitive binary relation in addition to
> > part-hood, and that binary relation I'll call as "contact". So we'll
> > be working within a kind of Mereotopology. However axioms to
> > characterize contact relation would be different from those of
> > Mereotopology. Here only disjoint (non overlapping) objects are
> > allowed to be in contact. When we say A is in contact with B then we
> > mean that for some x,y where x is a part of A and y is a part of B
> > there do not exist a gap between x and y, of course as said above
> > provided that A and B are disjoint objects.

> > Now we come to stipulate the sufficient condition for membership of a
> > whole, this is:

> > x is a member of y iff x part of y And (there do not exist a part of y
> > that is in contact with x) And every proper part of x is in contact
> > with some part of x.

> > This supplies us with the impression that x is a 'solid' entity and
> > yet x is separate (not in contact) from some other parts of y should
> > those exist.

> > However this interpretation of membership using this kind of
> > mereotopology has its shortcomings, the greatest is that it is
> > limiting in the sense that only one level of membership is possible,
> > that is between solid blocks and collections of them, any collection
> > of several blocks would not be able to be a member of any object since
> > it does have separate proper parts. So this would only be enough to
> > interpret flat sets.

> > If we desire having a hierarchy of sets being members of other sets
> > and if we want also to keep the above background of thinking of
> > matters in terms of parts and wholes and contact etc.., then we need a
> > more complex approach, one of those would be to invoke TIME in the
> > picture!

> > This without doubt would complicate the whole picture but yet it does
> > supply us with some interpretation of sets and their membership.

> > Now instead of having a binary relation C to represent contact, we
> > upgrade that to a triple relation symbol C(x,y,t) to signify x in
> [...]

I think you're branching out of representational mathematics
into real world applications.

SET <=> RELATION <=> TEMPORAL RELATION

As standard set theory can already 'trace memory'
substituting this version would be a redundant optimisation at best.

Blocks World and Temporal Logic fall under Hard Problems
and the design complexity explodes when you increase the size of the
domain, this is the main stumbling block in A.I.

The solution may be to get the foundations more rigid, but how does
adding a temporal parameter help learning, navigation, recognition,
communication, design, imagination, problem solving, decision
making.... and the dozen or more hard problems in real life logic?

Herc
--
www.BLoCKPROLOG.com