Topic: Polya's Ten Commandments for Teachers
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 9, 2013 12:34 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Polya's Ten Commandments for Teachers

With reference to "Polya's Ten Commandments for Teachers" (see Jerry Becker's post pasted below), it strikes me that several of the 'commandments' are in fact a strong endorsement of teaching via the 'discovery mode' rather than via the pure 'lecture mode'.

This does NOT mean that we have to do away with 'lectures' entirely - merely that there is much more to effective learning by students than simply 'lecturing' them in the belief that one is 'teaching'. Lectures should be recognized as constituting only a rather minor part of the 'teaching+learning' dyad - properly, we should in fact call that the 'learning+teaching' dyad.

GSC
Jerry Becker posted Feb 6, 2013 4:20 AM:

Message was edited by: GS Chandy