Topic: Interfacing of IP thermal camera with MATLAB
Replies: 3   Last Post: Feb 22, 2013 7:58 PM

William Frane

Re: Interfacing of IP thermal camera with MATLAB

Hello swati,

A few years ago I had the dubious privilege of interfacing a FLIR thermal camera with MATLAB; at the time, the only available means of doing so was by using an ActiveX plugin provided by FLIR, but at the time I recall hearing that their newer cameras supported the GigE (gigabit ethernet) protocol. If the camera you have can provide GigE video output that may be your best bet (try googling "MATLAB GigE camera" for some places to start).

I suspect, however, that the most useful source of information for you will be the documentation that came with your camera and any software (e.g., an SDK) that you may have purchased with it. You might also try FLIR's support site or customer service, although my personal experience with the latter was not particularly impressive. If a FLIR representative told you that the camera can stream video to MATLAB before you purchased it, follow up with them and try to get an example of this functionality that you can expand upon.

If you're still completely at a loss, someone on the newsreader may be able to help you (provided the FLIR camera you have is endowed with the ability to connect using a standardized protocol like GigE that MATLAB supports), but you'll need to be far more specific about what you've already tried and what the capabilities of your camera are. For example, rather than just saying that you've got a FLIR IP camera, give the exact model, and provide specific details (including code) regarding what you've already tried.

Hope that helps.

Will