Topic: Pull out specific numbers from unstructured text file
Replies: 12   Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 10:26 AM

dpb

Re: Pull out specific numbers from unstructured text file

On 2/7/2013 4:57 PM, Stan wrote:
> Here is an unstructured text file (chess_mov.out) that I have:
>
> abc
> abc a134
> def r5234sdgh
> gsgfs 6y856 words
>
> Nmoves=84 (chess win)
> Nrequired=101 (chess win maximum moves requested)
>
> ghsdfg564
> assdg 656756
> text ddg3434t5
>
> I need to:
> a. ignore all header lines that come before the line starting with
> 'Nmoves'. For this part, I need to first search for the line where the
> string 'Nmoves' occurs and ignore all lines before it. The number of
> lines before the string 'Nmoves' is 4 for this example only, but it is
> not always fixed.
> b. extract the numbers that come after 'Nmoves' and 'Nrequired'. So, in
> this case, the numbers I need are 84 and 101.
>
> I have tried this with textscan. The problem is that this is an
> unstructured text file and textscan is having a lot of problems picking
> up a fixed pattern.
>
> Question:
> How can I extract the numbers that come after 'Nmoves' and 'Nrequired'?

fgetl() combined w/ string matching and sscanf()

Or, undoubtedly one could use regexp()

Perl, perhaps, would be the simpler option...