Topic: quickly display list of cluster jobs
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 8, 2013 8:19 AM

Edric Ellis

Re: quickly display list of cluster jobs

"Rafael " <rafael.fritz@iwes.fraunhofer.de> writes:

> Working on a cluster, I sometimes want to check for the jobs using:
> tic, jm=findResource(); toc,
> tic, ListJobs=get(jm,'jobs'); toc,
> tic, ListJobs, toc,
> (Additional tic & toc commands are for evaluation only.)
> What I get is a list of jobs, but it seems to take a lot simply to
> display that.

Firstly, could I ask which type of cluster you are using? Are you using
jobmanager, local, or something else (this has a potentially large
effect on the timings - since the jobmanager case, all the information
has to be pulled from the remote database; all other cluster types use a
collection of files on disk)? Secondly, if you're using R2012a or later,
you could use the newer cluster-object based API (starting with
'parcluster' rather than 'findResource'), and I think there are some
optimizations in there for certain cases. Finally, could I ask what
information you're looking for? There may be ways that you can make a
more specific request which could be quicker. For instance, you could
find out how many running jobs there are like this:

[pendingJobs, queuedJobs, runningJobs, finishedJobs] = findJob(jm);
numRunning = numel(runningJobs)

(See <http://www.mathworks.com/help/distcomp/findjob.html> for more
about findJob).

Cheers,