Topic: Matheology § 210
Replies: 24   Last Post: Feb 12, 2013 1:12 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 210

In article
<e923642a-deb1-495b-ab6b-ba97502f2db9@p17g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 8 Feb., 23:05, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <43d2d64e-7641-4f96-bbe6-59fe20991...@e11g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
> >

> >  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > I know Brouwer's opinion very well But I do not discuss with you about
> > > that opinionb because you turn every word in my mouth.

> > That words seem to turn in WM's mouth does not man that anyone other
> > than WM himself is responsible for such turnings.

> > > No. Hilbert fired Brouwer from his most prestigious position with the
> > > Annalen.

> > How would that force Brouwer into taking up a position INCONSISTENT with
> > classical mathematics?

> Vice versa. Brouwer had a position inconsistent with Hilbert's
> mathematics. Therefore he was fired.

Once he was fired, what further force could Hilbert, or anyone else,
exert on him, to make him change his mind?

> > > Could an intelligent man or woman who observes that all levels of the
> > > Binary Tree are crossed by a finite number of distinct paths really
> > > believe that there are uncountably many, where uncountable means much
> > > more than infinitely many?

> > While each "level" individually may be only finitely crossed, it is
> > wrong, or at least deliberately misleading, to say that all of
> > infinitely many of them are collectively only "finitely crossed".

> It is simple to prove it in mathematics. Every term of the sequence
> 2^n is finite. And there is no infinite level.

Every f 2^n is exceeded by most others so there cannot be a last member,
which requires more than any finite number of finite levels.

What term or terms does WM want to use for
"more than any finite number finite levels"?

> > And uncountable does not mean more that infinitely many, but only more
> > that countably many. Infinite includes both countable and uncountable.

> That is purest nonsense .

It beats hell out of WM's grossly impure and mathematically incoherent
nonsense.