Topic: Mathematica and Lisp
Replies: 83   Last Post: Mar 5, 2013 10:12 PM

Richard Fateman

Re: Mathematica and Lisp

On 2/8/2013 2:10 AM, John Doty wrote:

<big snip, most of which suggest we agree on some things>

> But the rule-based paradigm is fundamental here.
>Formal proof in mathematics is rule-based.

Not necessarily. There's a substantial literature that
shows how to prove theorems by algebraic construction.
For example, geometry theorems are often convertible to
algebraic system solution.

I think the reality of rules is that too many of them are
confusing as a programming paradigm. Few people have the
knowledge and discipline to write rule sets which are
defined without overlaps, in a more-or-less unstructured
problem domain, where the solution is, as you say, "emergent".

> Mathematica implements a formalist vision of mathematics filtered
> through a physicist's pragmatism. That's why it's so good at mathematics
>, especially the applied mathematics of science and engineering.

That's partly why it fails so spectacularly on the mathematics examples
which I've pointed out again and again.

In
>Mathematica, programming is secondary: partly emergent and partly added on.
> If programming is your primary focus, Mathematica should probably not be your language of choice.

And so we agree, that if programming a solution to a problem
is the key to reaching your goal, perhaps you should not be
using Mathematica.

RJF

Date Subject Author
1/11/13
Read Mathematica and Lisp
amzoti
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/24/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/25/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
W. Craig Carter
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/31/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Noqsi
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Daniel Lichtblau
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Andrzej Kozlowski
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/8/13
Read Palette problem with Feynman slash notation
Dave Snead
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Bill Rowe