Topic: sqrt(x) without approximation?
Replies: 16   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 11:47 AM

Virgil

Re: sqrt(x) without approximation?

In article
<98c9f2d8-e09f-4cc3-aeda-d51f831b840c@k14g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
JT <jonas.thornvall@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there always such a base for any N that we can write sqrt(N)
> without approximation? Would it matter if we use NyaN or standard
> bases.

No and no!

While sqrt(N) for nonsquare N, can be approximated in standard
notations, I do not see that there can be any analog to digits to the
right of a decimal point for your NyaN numbers.

What, for example, would be the NyaN expression for 0.333...?