Topic: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Replies: 43   Last Post: Feb 9, 2013 9:20 PM

Wally W.

Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 03:04:18 -0800 (PST),
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com wrote:

>The reason why Tau is a fundamental number is because it is the Identity Operator for Rotation. Pi is lacking in such fundamental utility.
>
>Tau is as fundamental to Rotation as Zero is to Addition and One is to Multiplication. Tonight I watched several YouTube videos about Tau and I didn't see anyone make mention of this fact. Bob Palais wrote an excellent article back in 2001. But the arguments that I've seen favoring Tau over Pi were basically a matter of style and taste.
>
>The reason why Tau is worthy of primacy over Pi is not because of any such artistic reasons, but because of this fundamental mathematical reason.
>
>~ CT

What would the adoption of tau do to:

1. The Taylor series for trig functions, such as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine#Series_definition

2. The relationships between trig and hyperbolic functions, such as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbolic_function#Hyperbolic_functions_for_complex_numbers

cosh(ix) = cos(x)

Date Subject Author
1/2/13
Read The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
J.B. Wood
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Graham Cooper
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Sam Wormley
1/3/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
J.B. Wood
1/3/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/3/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Transfer Principle
1/3/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/3/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
J.B. Wood
1/5/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/5/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
J. Antonio Perez M.
1/8/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/8/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
J. Antonio Perez M.
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Kaba
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/4/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
1/4/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/4/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Kaba
1/5/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
1/6/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Kaba
1/6/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
1/6/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Kaba
1/6/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
1/7/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Kaba
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Porky Pig Jr
1/2/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/4/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/5/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
tdadamemd-spamblock-@excite.com
1/3/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
trj
1/9/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Michael Press
1/9/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Michael Press
1/9/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/10/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Michael Press
1/10/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/11/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
J. Antonio Perez M.
1/11/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/16/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/17/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
1/24/13
Read Re: The Reason Why Tau Is Fundamental And Why Pi Is Not
Brian Q. Hutchings
2/9/13