Topic: sqrt(x) without approximation?
Replies: 16   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 11:47 AM

JT

Re: sqrt(x) without approximation?

On 9 Feb, 22:30, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <98c9f2d8-e09f-4cc3-aeda-d51f831b8...@k14g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there always such a base for any N that we can write sqrt(N)
> > without approximation? Would it matter if we use NyaN or standard
> > bases.

> No and no!
>
> While sqrt(N) for nonsquare N, can be approximated in standard
> notations, I do not see that there can be any analog to digits to the
> right of a decimal point for your NyaN numbers.
>
> What, for example, would be the  NyaN expression for 0.333...?
> --

I do not know why you ask questions over and over Virgil
Since the generic code for all bases must be written ***again*** i can
only show you the idea using base 3 paragraphs for empty preceding
entrys keeping track of multiple * bas (Ternary=1,3,9,27,81....)
Fractions = NyaN
1/3 = .1
2/3 = .2
1/9 = .(1)1