Topic: Mathematica and Lisp
Replies: 83   Last Post: Mar 5, 2013 10:12 PM

Bill Rowe

Re: Mathematica and Lisp

On 2/9/13 at 12:45 AM, lvsaba@hotmail.com (Matthias Bode) wrote:

>"There is nothing that cannot be done in assembler that can be done
>in Mathematica."

>Upon inspection of the code of "A small program that calculates and
>prints terms of the Fibonacci series"

>http://www.assembly.happycodings.com/code1.html

>I have been led to surmise that using Mathematica might have some
>slight advantages over the assembler approach.

Since one line Mathematica code, specifically,

Table[Fibonacci[n],{n,15000}]

outputs the same result as the several lines of assembly code
the URL you posted links to, it seems to me the advantage of
Mathematica over assembly is clear.

Can Mathematica take the place of other coding tools? In
principle, yes. But while Mathematica could be used to take the
place of other coding tools, that doesn't mean Mathematica
should be used in place of other coding tools.

I could use a large screwdriver to pound in small nails instead
of using a hammer even though using a hammer would be far more
efficient/effective. Similarly, some coding tasks/problems are
addressed far more efficiently/effectively with tools other than Mathematica.

Date Subject Author
1/11/13
Read Mathematica and Lisp
amzoti
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/24/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/25/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
W. Craig Carter
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/31/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Noqsi
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Daniel Lichtblau
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Andrzej Kozlowski
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/8/13
Read Palette problem with Feynman slash notation
Dave Snead
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Bill Rowe