Topic: Mathematica and Lisp
Replies: 83   Last Post: Mar 5, 2013 10:12 PM

David Bailey

Re: Mathematica and Lisp

On 08/02/2013 10:10, John Doty wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:28:00 PM UTC-5, Richard Fateman wrote:
>

>> I personally find the debugging facilities in Mathematica to be quite
>>
>> difficult to use.

> I personally don't use them, but I personally find Mathematica programs easy to debug.
>

>> I speculate that it is because the "working model"
>>
>> I have in my mind (and I suspect others share it) is that I am writing
>>
>> programs, composing them in various ways. In reality, the internal
>>
>> evaluation strategy of Mathematica is to apply rules to transform
>>
>> expressions. So while I'm looking for a clue as to which "program"
>>
>> has the bug, the debugging info shows transformations of expressions.

> Yes! Now, we're getting someplace.
>

>> This jerking back into the reality of Mathematica's actual nature
>>
>> of evaluation generally prompts me to shy away from the use of Trace.

> If you're using Mathematica, why ever leave that reality? Why not stay in it and use its power? If that's not working for you, why use Mathematica in the first place?
>

>> I don't know if it is inevitable, but Trace in particular, and debugging
>>
>> in general in Mathematica seem to me to be quite weak.

> Trying to figure out what Mathematica's doing using Trace[] is like trying to figure out what a 1960's mainframe was doing from the blinking lights on the console. Useful in special circumstances, but too much detail in general.

This is why I wrote the DebugTrace package - available free from my website.

Sometimes we all have to debug badly structured code. For example, if
you are a consultant, you simply have to understand a client's code,
however it is structured!

Also, many people use Mathematica infrequently, and don't want to spend
a great deal of time understanding its philosophy.

For that reason, DebugTrace reintroduces the fiction of functions, so
that when a program pauses at a breakpoint, or when it generates an
error message, you can obtain a trace-back of what called what, at which
line number. Line numbers relate to a special 'listing' notebook that is
generated as the debugger starts.

Since I don't really like the Workbench, all this runs directly in the
FrontEnd!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

Date Subject Author
1/11/13
Read Mathematica and Lisp
amzoti
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/12/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/14/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/22/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/24/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/25/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/26/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
W. Craig Carter
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
1/16/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
1/18/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Murray Eisenberg
1/31/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Noqsi
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Daniel Lichtblau
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/2/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/3/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Andrzej Kozlowski
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Richard Fateman
2/6/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
David Bailey
2/8/13
Read Palette problem with Feynman slash notation
Dave Snead
2/5/13
Read Re: Mathematica and Lisp
Bill Rowe