Topic: Dawkins: God is Highly Plausible:
Replies: 7   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 7:29 PM

Virgil

Re: William Hughes, care to comment? Re: Dawkins: God is Highly Plausible:

In article <871ucop16q.fsf_-_@phiwumbda.org>,
"Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse@phiwumbda.org> wrote:

> Hey, William.
>
> You recently suggested that BroilJAB's stupid (and often racist) posts
> usually have some (admittedly very tenuous) connection to reality.
> That really surprised me.
>
> Is the following made-up quote a counterexample to what you claimed?
> Or is there some tenuous connection I don't see?
>
> Just curious.
>
> BroilJAB <DesignDenier@wmconnect.com> writes:
>

> > "The specified complexity of Life and the Cosmos
> > render the existence of God highly plausible."
> > -Dr Dawkins.

It is a made up quote. the actual source reads:

After two hours of conversation, Professor Dawkins walks
far afield. He talks of the possibility that we might
co-evolve with computers, a silicon destiny. And he's
intrigued by the playful, even soul-stirring writings
of Freeman Dyson, the theoretical physicist.

In one essay, Professor Dyson casts millions of speculative
years into the future. Our galaxy is dying and humans have
evolved into something like bolts of superpowerful
intelligent and moral energy."

[So the context of discussion is now established as being
in Dyson's far future, and the following must be interpreted
in that context]

"Doesn't that description sound an awful lot like God?"

[Again establishing that the context is Dyson's future universe]

"Certainly," Professor Dawkins replies. "It's highly
plausible that in the [Dyson future] universe there
are God-like creatures."

He raises his hand, just in case a reader thinks he's gone
around a religious bend. "It's very important to
understand that these [future] Gods came into being by an
explicable scientific progression of incremental evolution."

Could they be immortal?

The professor shrugs. "Probably not." He smiles and adds ,
"But I wouldn't want to be too dogmatic about that."

The complete article appeared in print on September 20, 2011, in

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/science/20dawkins.html?pagewanted=all