Topic: Undefined function or variable - for no reason...
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 10:36 PM

Steven Lord

Re: Undefined function or variable - for no reason...

"Ben Lange" <blange3@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I experienced this issue in the following scenario.
> Initially I named my .m file HW1.m, it worked fine.
> I then renamed my .m file to be HW1-NearestNeighboar.m.
> I experienced the dreaded Undefined function or variable error.
> I then changed the - to _ and everything worked fine.
> Apparenly, MatLab doesn't support - characters in the *.m filename.

That is correct.

"Valid function names follow the same rules as variable names. They must
start with a letter, and can contain letters, digits, or underscores."

If function names were allowed to contain a minus sign, this:

would be ambiguous -- it could be either a call to the function you wrote or
the result of subtracting the first element of the array NearestNeighboar
from the variable HW1.

Steve Lord