Topic: Wikipedia and fractions in other base then decimal
Replies: 16   Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 9:43 PM

Jussi Piitulainen

Re: Wikipedia and fractions in other base then decimal

JT writes:
> On 11 Feb, 09:14, William Elliot wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013, JT wrote:
> > > Wikipedia claims that 1/2 decimal 0,5 is 0,1 in ternary... and
> > > also 0,1 in binary.....

> > > In reality it is 0.12 in ternary and 0.101 in binary
> >
> > 1/2 = 0.1 in binary
> > 1/2 = 0.111... in ternary
> >
> > which can be written as 0.1^- where 1^- indicates a bar
> > above the 1 which is used for infinite repetition of a digit.
> > For example 1/3 = 0.3^- base 10.

> No both you and wikipedia -> 0,5 decimal= 0,1 ternary are wrong while
> i am correct.

None of the links to Wikipedia that you provided support your claim
that Wikipedia even claims that. The closest thing I found was in the
Swedish Wikipedia, but it says 1,5 decimal is 1.11111... ternary and
specifically points out that the ternary representation of that number
is unending. That's not what you say they say.

<http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positionssystem#Exempel:_Decimaltal_till_3-bas>

_You_ can hardly say that _all_ your links support you. Where in
Wikipedia do you see that anyway?