Topic: infinity can't exist
Replies: 34   Last Post: Mar 16, 2013 9:31 PM

Bart Goddard

Re: infinity can't exist

Craig Feinstein <cafeinst@msn.com> wrote in

> Let's say I have a drawer of an infinite number of identical socks at
> time zero. I take out one of the socks at time one. Then the contents
> of the drawer at time zero is identical to the contents of the drawer
> at time one, since all of the socks are identical and there are still
> an infinite number of them in the drawer at both times. But the
> contents of the drawer at time zero is also identical to the contents
> of the drawer at time one plus the sock that was taken out, since they
> are exactly the same material. So we have the equations:
>
> Contents of drawer at time 0 = Contents of drawer at time 1
> Contents of drawer at time 0 = (Contents of drawer at time 1) plus
> (sock taken out of drawer).
>
> Subtracting the equations, we get
>
> Nothing = sock taken out of drawer.
>
> This is false, so infinity cannot exist.
>
> How does modern mathematics resolve this paradox?

By means of limits. Infinity minus infinity is an indeterminate
form, and no said that the rules of finite arithmetic apply to
non-finite things. We invented limits to deal with non-finite things.

B.

Date Subject Author
2/12/13
Read infinity can't exist