Topic: unable to open csv file
Replies: 7   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 9:39 AM

dpb

Re: unable to open csv file

On 2/12/2013 1:54 PM, Barry Williams wrote:

> dpb is correct. We need more specifics. I would note, however, that a
> csv file can contain non-obvious data in a cell that will generate
> exactly the error that you are getting. For example:
>
> 1.2 2.3 4.5
> 3.1 5.8 9
> l.1 10 8.5
>
> Depending upon the font, it may not be apparent upon inspection that the
> row 3, col 1 contains lower case L period 1, rather than the decimal 1.1
>
> Note that if I try to read the file using csvread, I get the following
> error message:
>
> Error using ==> textscan
> Mismatch between file and format string.
> Trouble reading number from file (row 3, field 1) ==> l.1,1
>
> Error in ==> csvread at 45
> m=dlmread(filename, ',', r, c);

Well, the same error message, but not the same error--the mismatched
string OP got was '\n' -- one presumes probably a header line and then
an empty line in the file, maybe...but again, no point speculating w/o
seeing the actual file structure.