Topic: Matheology § 203
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 12, 2013 5:07 PM

fom

Re: Matheology § 203

On 2/12/2013 11:21 AM, WM wrote:
> On 12 Feb., 17:59, Alan Smaill <sma...@SPAMinf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>> WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

>>> The notion of every finite initial segment is predicative because we
>>> need nothing but a number of 1's, that are counted by a number already
>>> defined, and add another 1.

>> It's in the justification of the claim that induction yields a conclusion
>> that holds for *any* natural number where the impredicativity lies.

> Impredicativity is not a matter of quantity but of self-referencing
> definition. Further you seem to mix up every and all.
> I don't see any necessity to consider *all* natural numbers. I
> maintain, without running in danger to be contradicted: For every
> natural number that can be reached by induction, induction holds.

Speaking of self-referencing definitions...

Your observation that the natural numbers are
in one-to-one correspondence with the initial
segments is invoking the successor as a choice
function

It is one of the truly elegant observations
in your analysis. Sadly, you cannot see it
because of your religion.

It also suggests that all arithmetic
is impredicative.