Topic: Slow uigetfile with large number of remote folders in MATLAB path
Replies: 1   Last Post: Feb 14, 2013 10:14 AM

Steven Lord

Re: Slow uigetfile with large number of remote folders in MATLAB path

"Laurent Badel" <wawrzeniec@gmx.ch> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am using MATLAB with a large number of remote folders (~80) on the
> MATLAB path. This apparently creates connection problems with the remote
> computer. In particular, calling uigetfile with a remote starting
> directory becomes very slow (it can take up to 15 minutes until the dialog
> shows)
> I have found that the problem with uigetfile disappears when removing
> remote folders from the MATLAB path. Therefore, I suspect that this might
> occur because MATLAB maintains too many active connections with the remote
> computer.

First I'd check with your network administrators to ensure there's nothing
wrong with the network and that they haven't put any bandwidth restrictions
in place.

> Another seemingly related problem is that although I can access any remote
> folder directly, I am unable to browse the root of the remote computer in
> windows explorer (I mean that if I try to open \\REMOTECOMPUTER in windows
> explorer, I get "\\REMOTECOMPUTER is not accessible" error, whereas if I
> open \\REMOTECOMPUTER\SharedFolder, it works fine).

I think what you're trying to do is \\REMOTECOMPUTER\c$ to access the C
drive on the remote machine.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/606534/opening-a-remote-machines-windows-c-drive

> Would anyone know why this happens and/or any workarounds?
> note: the reason I am adding many remote folders is because we are several
> users sharing the same m-files, and I prefer having one copy of all files
> in the same location rather than multiple copies in multiple locations.

My very first thought when I read that was "revision control system."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revision_control

Depending on the RCS you use, that would allow users to have their own local
copies that they can keep synchronized with the master "one copy of all
files in the same location." It will also help manage multiple users making
modifications to those files simultaneously, and ensure that if any
modifications should happen to break those files you could reverse the
changes.

MATLAB even supports interacting directly with some source control systems
from within MATLAB, so you may not need to switch to a different application
to manage the files.

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/source-control.html

--
Steve Lord