Topic: infinity can't exist
Replies: 34   Last Post: Mar 16, 2013 9:31 PM

Scott Berg

Re: infinity can't exist

"Michael Stemper" <mstemper@walkabout.empros.com> wrote in message
> In article <13c1e093-ab86-45e6-9417-7526eb422a08@googlegroups.com>, Craig
> Feinstein <cafeinst@msn.com> writes:
>

>>Let's say I have a drawer of an infinite number of identical socks
>
>>Contents of drawer at time 0 =3D (Contents of drawer at time 1) plus (sock
>>=
>>taken out of drawer).
>>
>>Subtracting the equations, we get
>>
>>Nothing =3D sock taken out of drawer.
>>
>>This is false, so infinity cannot exist.=20
>>
>>How does modern mathematics resolve this paradox?

> Modern mathematics does not claim that an infinite number of socks can
> exist, and neither does modern physics.
>
> Although physics does not allow an infinite number of socks, it is easy
> to see that if a very large number of socks was brought together, they
> would
> collapse into a singularity. Your attempt to remove one of them would
> cause
> you to pass through the Sock Event Horizon, at which time you would no
> longer
> be able to remove any of them.

but what would happen if he was collecting them and putting them in one
place, and then the place starts to collapse in, would just his hand get
stuck ?

and how many socks from stable space to collapsing space would it take ? 1#
? 1000# ??

Date Subject Author
2/12/13
Read infinity can't exist