Topic: Explanation for why linear regression is a poor fit
Replies: 8   Last Post: Feb 15, 2013 10:36 AM

Lurker

Re: Explanation for why linear regression is a poor fit

I take this as asking why statements like "p = 0.025, meaning it is
significant at 97.5% confidence" are not true, and how you can
demonstrate this.

The p-value depends on (at least approximately) Normal distribution of
residuals. Looking at the regression in FC Counts Chart I get:
-------------
The regression equation is
MPN = 10177 - 0.240 Date

Predictor Coef SE Coef T P
Constant 10177 4324 2.35 0.019
Date -0.2396 0.1065 -2.25 0.025

S = 1220.74 R-Sq = 1.0% R-Sq(adj) = 0.8%
-----------
Agreeing with Excel, but the residuals are very far from Normally
distributed, so you can't trust the P values.

I'm guessing that this is microbiology data (faecal coliforms in water
determined by MPN techniques?). In that domain it's common to take logs,
usually base 10. Doing the regression on log(MPN) I get
------------------
log(MPN) = - 0.73 + 0.000070 Date

Predictor Coef SE Coef T P
Constant -0.726 2.355 -0.31 0.758
Date 0.00007001 0.00005801 1.21 0.228

S = 0.664892 R-Sq = 0.3% R-Sq(adj) = 0.1%
Very nicely behaved residuals, so you can trust the P values, which show
no evidence for a date dependence.

HTH

KJ