Topic: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Replies: 27   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 11:34 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered

At 08:07 AM 2/15/2013, Joe Niederberger wrote:
>G S Chandy says:
> > Could you possibly guide me to a proof of Th. 2?
>
>It was just Wayne's joke, unfortunately loses its punch if if needs
>explained. However, at any point in time you can just look up
>whatever the largest "known" prime is at the moment. It is usually
>Mersenne (2**p - 1), and may be for a long time to come.

Thanks, Joe. It was true long before so much computer power was
available because of some specialized tests for primality that I've
never bothered to take a look at. I know even less about the GIMPS
project but my guess is that, because of such tests, the algorithms
involved don't even look at anything else. Does anyone out there know?

Wayne

Date Subject Author
2/11/13
Read Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Jerry P. Becker
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Clyde Greeno
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/14/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/14/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Louis Talman
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Louis Talman
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/18/13