Topic: probability question about the dice game
Replies: 11   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 10:43 AM

David Bernier

Re: probability question about the dice game

On 02/15/2013 02:16 PM, quasi wrote:
> pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:
>

>> I've lived in the States. I've lived in the UK. People say
>> things like "The odds of winning the lottery are millions to one."

> In this context, it means "millions to one _against_".
>
> The "against" can be omitted without loss of clarity since the
> context makes it clear that it has to be "against".
>
> But when the probabilities are less clear, the odds should be
> taken literally, that is,
>
> odds of a to b means a probability of a/(a+b).
>
> If one says,
>
> "The odds are 2-to-1 that it will rain tomorrow"
>
> that means a 2/3 chance of rain.
>
> On the other hand, if one
>
> "The odds are 2-to-1 against rain tomorrow"
>
> that means a 1/3 chance of rain.
>
> quasi

Yes, that's what I would think. I've heard of "even odds",
meaning 1 to 1 as in a coin toss. A fair bet would be
for each of two gamblers to put $ 0.01 into the pot.
(1::1 or 1:1, I forget).

David Bernier

--
dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID