Topic: probability question about the dice game
Replies: 11   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 10:43 AM

David Bernier

Re: probability question about the dice game

On 02/16/2013 01:30 PM, pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:00:44 PM UTC, David C. Ullrich wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 05:45:37 -0800 (PST), pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>>> Staying with the theme of odds terminology, but moving away from the argument,
>>

>> Giggle. Yes, now would be exactly the right time to "move away from
>>
>> the argument".
>>

>> Guffaw.
>>

> I don't find it that hilarious. Obviously, I've been shown

to be wrong about what standard usage is.

When bookmakers say an event is "2 to 1" without qualifiers

like "on" or "against", they mean that the probability

is around 31%. I'm certainly surprised to hear people

say that "The odds are 2 to 1 that it will rain"

means a probability of 2/3. I wonder why no one says

that the odds of winning the lottery are "one to millions"
[...]

Usage of language certainly varies over time and
geography.

If one googles for "odds of being struck by lightning",
what does one find the most of?

On current usage:

"Your odds of getting killed by a meteorite are roughly 1 in 250,000."

cf.:
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/02/asteroid-odds/

Because of the word "in", maybe some people tend to speak
of odds but quote probabilities?

But I would definitely say
"The chances that you will be killed by [...]"

Dave

--
dracut:/# lvm vgcfgrestore
File descriptor 9 (/.console_lock) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID