Topic: infinity can't exist
Replies: 34   Last Post: Mar 16, 2013 9:31 PM

Virgil

Re: infinity can't exist

In article
<632d8309-69bd-41ae-ac68-fe4023793f67@e11g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
netzweltler <reinhard_fischer@arcor.de> wrote:

> On 12 Feb., 16:19, Craig Feinstein <cafei...@msn.com> wrote:
> > Let's say I have a drawer of an infinite number of identical socks at time
> > zero. I take out one of the socks at time one. Then the contents of the
> > drawer at time zero is identical to the contents of the drawer at time one,
> > since all of the socks are identical and there are still an infinite number
> > of them in the drawer at both times. But the contents of the drawer at time
> > zero is also identical to the contents of the drawer at time one plus the
> > sock that was taken out, since they are exactly the same material. So we
> > have the equations:
> >
> > Contents of drawer at time 0 = Contents of drawer at time 1
> > Contents of drawer at time 0 = (Contents of drawer at time 1) plus (sock
> > taken out of drawer).

Note that there is a critical difference between the number of sox in
the drawer and the set of sox in the drawer.

And by conflating the two, as you have done, you have destroyed your
argument.
--

Date Subject Author
2/12/13