Topic: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Replies: 27   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 11:34 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered

If you object to bad math jokes (are there any
good ones?), there's the old proofs that all odd
numbers greater than 2 are prime;

Physicist: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13,… The 9? It is
crucial in science to exclude such outliers as measuring error.
Mathematician: 3, 5, 7, … And just finish the proof by induction.
Engineer (middle school math teacher?): 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19,…

Wayne

At 05:37 AM 2/16/2013, GS Chandy wrote:
>Joe Niederberger posted Feb 15, 2013 9:37 PM:
> > G S Chandy says:
> > > Could you possibly guide me to a proof of Th. 2?
> >
> > It was just Wayne's joke, unfortunately loses its
> > punch if if needs explained.
> >

>Thanks, Joe. I feel adequately
>chastened. Indeed, it has lost punch. Unless
>it was a poor joke to begin with. Sorry about that, Wayne.
>
>Wayne: :) :) Trust you're happy now?
>

> >However, at any point in
> > time you can just look up whatever the largest
> > "known" prime is at the moment. It is usually
> > Mersenne (2**p - 1), and may be for a long time to
> > come.
> >

>It will be indeed, since we have got to 47
>million digits - the GIMPS project itself would
>most likely take some time to get to the next
>one (whether it be Mersenne or anything else).
>
>GSC

> > Cheers,
> > Joe N

Date Subject Author
2/11/13
Read Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Jerry P. Becker
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Clyde Greeno
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/14/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/14/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Louis Talman
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Louis Talman
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/18/13