Topic: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
Replies: 43   Last Post: Feb 22, 2013 10:04 AM

dan.ms.chaos@gmail.com

Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions

On Feb 16, 10:59 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> [...]

> p(x)=NAND if x>0
> p(x)=NOR if x<0
> p(x)=IMP if x=0
>
> That canonical order is given as
>
> <LEQ, OR, DENY, FLIP, NIF, NTRU, AND, NIMP, XOR, IMP, NAND, TRU, IF,
> FIX, LET, NOR>
>
> The subsequence in which I am interested is
>
> <IMP, NAND, TRU, IF, FIX, LET, NOR>
>
> And, since NOR is the last in the sequence, the order of the
> three elements I want relative to wrapping the subsequence
> is given by
>
> <NOR, IMP, NAND>
>
> In any case, the point is that your observation speaks directly
> to the fact that identity is a topologically complex matter
> and that the trichotomy of the real numbers cannot be taken
> for granted.
>

> >http://blog.sigfpe.com/2008/01/what-does-topology-have-to-do-with.html
>
> > Our language is countable , the real numbers are not . Thus we don't
> > work directly with "the plenum" , the real numbers as infinite strings
> > of digits . How could we? Who has time to read an infinite string?

> Well, (in all good humor) Alan Turing for one.
>
> Correct.  While not an application one would have expected for
> automata, the fact is that a representation of the logical problem
> using automata led to reduced machines because of the Euclidean
> algorithm.
>

> > What we do work with are the 'finite definitions' of these 'infinite
> > numbers' , for all the real numbers we can think about .Whether any
> > other kind of number is "real" ,other than those we can think about,
> > depends on your "orientation" in mathematics , though I affirm they're
> > not 'real' .
> > Now , these 'finite definitions' "subdue" the infinite numbers, making
> > their contents accessible to our tiny, finite minds . Thus , equality
> > becomes decidable , and 1 = 0.(9) while 1 not = 0.9999998(9) .

> Thanks to my recent postings on sci.logic and sci.math, I
> define "subdue" to be the algebraic extension field over the
> rationals characterized by
>
> a+b*surd(5)
>

> > One question remains : Is anything lost when "replacing" these
> > "infinite objects" by their finite definitions?

> No, but something is lost when we treat
>
> 1.000... = 0.999...
>
> trivially if, in fact, one is interested in how one uses
> definition and the sign of equality to 'subdue'.
>
> That was an important point of the post.  The decision turns
> a lossless representation into a lossy representation.
>
> What branch of mathematics other than finite-state automata
> could even represent that?
>

> > The beautiful fact is that the objects of mathematics are analytic ,
> > not synthetic , thus nothing is lost in terms of meaning by saying
> > 0.(9) instead of 0.99999.... and much is gained in terms of what we
> > could do with "the finite 0.(9)" , as opposed to "the infinite
> > 0.9999..." .

> The analytic/synthetic distinction?  Are you sure you

The problem of 1 = 0.(x) appears for any possible base of
numeration .
If you're bothered by the representation being 'lossy' , you can
always try continued fractions for the numbers in the interval [0,1] :
Each real number is represented by a (possibly infinite) sequence of
strictly positive integers :
You represent r by [a1,a2,a3 ..... an ...] meaning that
r = 0 + 1/ (a1 + 1 / (a2 + 1/ (a3 + .... )))
I'm pretty sure you can build up the whole of analysis this way ,
though nobody's bothered to do it, so it must be tedious.
That being said, I was never really bothered by the whole 0.(9) = 1
business , it's just a quirk in notation .
What seems far more troublesome is the representation of finite
fields , you always have to 'choose' one of many irreducible
polynomials if you want to work with them .

Date Subject Author
2/10/13
Read distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
fom
2/10/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
J. Antonio Perez M.
2/10/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
fom
2/11/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/11/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
fom
2/14/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/14/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
fom
2/14/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
fom
2/15/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
fom
2/15/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/16/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
fom
2/17/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2/19/13
Read Re: distinguishability - in context, according to definitions
fom
2/21/13
[...]
Barb Knox
2/18/13
[...]
[...]